Monday, August 29, 2011

Silencing the Accuser

Something's in the air lately. Depression. Anxiety. Exhaustion. Stress. Worry. Hopelessness. Fear. People are thirsty and hungry for more, but they refuse to see the truth of what it is that they're missing. The enemy and his league are working overtime because they know they're time grows short. They don't know when, but they can feel the shifting, the stirring of things to come. They blind people to the truth...they cover the people's eyes so they don't see, they cover the people's ears so they don't hear. They numb them. They whisper lies and oppress. They encourage gossip, slander, immorality, self-centeredness...the "it's all about me" and the "because I deserve it" mentality. And those who yearn for God feel unworthy to be saved, unworthy to be called a child of God. They begin to question the legitimacy of their salvation. It makes me so angry! There is a cloud of oppression surrounding the land trying to block out the brilliance of God's love and forgiveness. Because the more people they can fool into believing that God doesn't exist, the more people they can smother with lies so they feel unworthy... the greater their victory. They know they don't have much time.

I think of the people in my life. Family. Friends. Co-workers. I see pain. I see heaviness of spirit. And it breaks my heart. Some know God as their Saviour. Some don't. God loves them all the same. I feel such a burden for them. I want to rip open my chest and expose my heart to them. I want to show them how Great God is...he took my decaying life, my decaying heart and transformed it into a heart overflowing in His love. It brings tears to my eyes even now, hopefully it always will. His love trumps all. His love washes away doubt, anger, fear, depression, oppression...unworthiness. "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink" (John 7:37b). Thank you Jesus.

I was watching Beth Moore the other day and she said something that struck me. She was speaking about how when we accept Jesus as our Saviour, the Holy Spirit comes and dwells in us. The Holy Spirit is often thought of as a fire, as in the book of Acts when the Holy Spirit came down and filled everyone: "They saw what appeared to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them" (Acts 2:3). When we are first called and surrender to Jesus we are imparted with a gift of God..the flame of the Holy Spirit. Makes sense. I know when I truly 'got it'...when I really understood what it meant to give my life to Jesus I was ON FIRE! Amen? I had a burning inside that had me on a high. I wanted to tell everyone about Him. I had a Father in Heaven who loved me! Me. Little old sinful me. Praise you Father! I read my bible, I joined every kind of  bible study at the church. I shouted praise songs in the car. But then life sneaks in. At first you don't notice...I mean, you still love God...but work calls. Things happen. Maybe a sickness, maybe a death...perhaps it's only everyday worries...the rent's due, the water heater broke...where am I supposed to get the money to pay for that? You start to realize that it's hard living in this world. Maybe memories of past abuses, past toxic relationships start to infringe upon your thoughts. "I thought this Christian life would be a lot easier". "Where's God in all this?" Oh He's there. The truth is that becoming a Christian is easy...walking the life as a disciple of Jesus--way more difficult.

You see, when someone gives their life to Christ, what we experience in the natural pales in comparison to what happens in the supernatural. The very moment we surrender we are marked for God. "Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us and put his spirit in our hearts as a deposit guaranteeing what is to come" (2 Cor 1:21-22); " And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession--to the praise of his glory. (Eph 1:13-14); "The Lord knows who are his" (2 Tim 2:19). Now, I don't know who this seal is visible to...can only God and his angels see it or can the powers of darkness also see it? I don't have a definite answer to that but what I do know is that our actions are apparent to Satan and his cronies. And they really don't appreciate it when we score points for the good guys. When we tell our testimony, when we tell someone about Jesus and his saving grace and love, when we move in the spirit and become warriors of God...it gets noticed. When you become a person who is making a difference in the lives of people by showing Jesus in you, when you excel in your gifts from God, when you show the world what God has done in and through your life...you might become a target for the enemy's arrows. Because he knows that he needs to silence you. He does that by preying on your weaknesses, trying to tempt you. Or maybe he will see how far your faith will hold you. Remember a guy name Job? Will it take a death? Bankruptcy? Sickness? Is your faith superficial? Is it dependent upon your pastor, your youth leader? What about lust? Or love? What will make you bend too far..just enough to break you? Then that is what he will focus on. Does this scare you? It shouldn't. You should feel empowered. You should feel emboldened! You matter! YOU MATTER! I love it! Because nothing, nothing at all can separate you from Christ! Nothing! "...neither death nor life, neither angels or demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Rom 8:38-39)Ahh..except one thing..ourselves.

Satan can't make us do anything. He can tempt us. He can whisper suggestions. But we are the ones who choose to listen or not. How often do you need to hear the whispers before they become your reality? Maybe you've heard them before: "You're not worthy", "Nobody cares", "You don't matter", "What good are you?". I have had my fair share of attacks. You see the enemy is smart...he whispers lies to you for you to believe, but at the same time he makes you think you don't need help, or better yet...you're not sick enough to deserve help..you're issues are insignificant. At the time I was a young mother with a 2 year old and a 5 year old. I had been married for about 6 years to a wonderful guy. We had a nice house, great family and friends...I'm sure it seemed perfect from the outside, but inside I was drowning. I would have good days, then I would deny how depressed I had been during the dark days...but then I would sink again. So finally, one day I had a thought to write down everything I was thinking. And I tell you now that I truly believe that was God speaking to me even though at the time I never knew him. My letter shocked me. I wrote to no one in particular, just emptied myself. I wrote that I was a horrible mother...always yelling...the girls would be better without such a mom; I said I was a sad excuse for a wife...never wanting to be held, always sad...he deserved better; I was a failure a being a good friend...never wanting to go out and visit...they deserved better. What am I doing here? They all are better off without me. Yup. I was in the depths. Satan was holding my face under...drowning me...making me give up my will to live. But that one small voice telling me to write it down became like a splash of cold water waking me to the reality of it all. I got help. It wouldn't be for another 5 years or so until I totally surrendered to Jesus. But God loves us all. He saw my pain and he reached down with a hand to pull me from the waters. Satan could not make me kill myself, but he could strongly suggest it. Thank God I made the right choice.

 I now know that we have an arsenal to use against the enemy. Ephesians 6:11-18 is one of my favorite verses. It tells us how to arm ourselves against the powers of darkness because we are going to get attacked. It is inevitable. When sin entered the world, it became a fact that we are going to have trials and sufferings in this life. But we can turn those trials and imagined defeats into powerful victories for Christ! But to block the enemy's attacks we need to prepare by staying tuned into God through praying, worship, praising, and most importantly reading and studying his Word. By doing these hings, not only do we arm ourselves against he enemy, but we also become ammunition to defeat the enemy. When the the enemy has us down, our inner flame can dim, never extinguishes, but it can diminish. Our zeal for the Lord may dampen. But when the Breath of God blows...like oxygen to fire...the flame explodes! The Word of God is the breath of God. Fan the flame. "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings" (1 Peter 5:8).

I don't know if you can relate. Maybe you know someone who is struggling. All I know is that whether you are saved or whether you are still searching for answers..God knows. God hears you. God loves you. No matter your circumstance, no matter your level of faith, He is and always will be, there for you. Don't believe Satan's lies. Rebuke them in Jesus' name! Satan can make us feel like we are crazy, not worthy. No one is worthy of God's redemptive grace, but still he loves us and wants us to know him. "He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance" (2 Peter 3:9b). When you feel unworthy, it is the enemy's attempt to diminish your flame..an attempt to diminish your effectiveness for the Kingdom of God. That alone should make you feel worthy! If you are a believer then you have been given power and authority over the enemy by Jesus Christ: "I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you" (Luke 10:19). Those were Jesus' very words. If you believe in him, you should believe in his words. Hallelujah! The victory has already been won, you just need to live it!!

I'm going to leave you with some verses that speak to our current bouts of sufferings. Speak them aloud. Own them! God left them for you to use! He didn't give us the Bible for some light reading..it is a weapon to use against the powers of darkness. Arm yourselves. It's time to take back the power you were given. You are a son or daughter of the Most High. He's your Abba. And no one messes with his family! It's time for battle. I want to matter. If Jesus thought I was worthy enough to die for then I am going to fight my hardest to make a difference for his kingdom. Amen?

Loneliness:
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never forsake you. (Deuteronomy 31:6)

Worry:
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. (John 14:27)

Fear:
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10)
But now, this is what the LORD says-he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: "Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze." (Isaiah 43:1-2)
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7)

Stress and Anxiety:
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)

And some songs I like to sing when I'm feeling low...

Set Me Free by Casting Crowns


I Am Yours by Misty Edwards


Stand in the Rain by Superchick

No comments:

Post a Comment