Saturday, January 8, 2011

Proud to be a Prude

So...society, this culture I live in has been bothering me lately. It's getting under my skin. It's grating at me. I feel the indoctrination of this society so much the last little bit. Or maybe my eyes have been opened more. It's nothing new that society is all about pleasuring oneself. Almost every commercial you watch, TV shows, movies, billboard ads, radio stations, even the news relates to some superficial aspect of society. Who's sleeping with who, teens having babies, what is the new look, who's in and who's out, what you should be like in order to be 'cool'. We are swamped daily with so much information, especially with the Internet, how does a person not let it drag you under?




I remember when I partook gladly in everything the world offered. I never thought anything about the lyrics in the songs I listened to, even playing them loudly with my young daughters. Songs with messages about one night stands, shaking your booty, living loudly because that's all life is about..having fun while you were here..no consequences. Songs about cheating on your spouse, songs about getting drunk....all soaked in by my little girls. Thank you Jesus for your saving grace! I remember not allowing Eminem to be played while the girls were home because he swore in his songs. Huh, little did I know that the messages I was already sending to my girls were just as damaging. Clueless. Or blind. It's amazing how God can wipe the slate clean and restore purity. Now, I'm not saying I'm pure or sinless, because I need Jesus' grace daily..hourly. But that is the point. We can't do it on our own kids. We need Jesus.

Now, because I listen to my local Christian radio station, and 99% of the songs I listen to are Christian I literally cringe when I hear a new secular song. Wow. I tend to shake my head in unbelief at some of the lyrics I hear. Thank God, my girls like contemporary Christian music, and if not Christian music, then the songs are country or Indie music like Ingrid Michaelson. But my husband does like all types of music. And some songs...*cringe. Yes, there are some beautiful songs that are not "Christian"...God gives gifts indiscriminately. His idea is for us all to use our gifts, whatever that may be, for His glory, not our own. For example, I love the instrumental guitar in the song 'Welcome Home' by Coheed and Cambria, and thankfully, because it is a hard rock band, I can't understand what they are saying so I just listen to the instrumental parts..lol..no, don't send me the lyrics..I don't want to know ;). But some songs are just blatantly wrong. I can't help but wonder what they could have accomplished if they used their voices for God. It's sad. Because instead of turning young people towards God and truth, they are turning them into self-conscious people who believe they need to fit into society (which means to have sex, be sexy, be skinny, be rebellious) in order to matter. They are lost in the darkness of it all. And while you are in the darkness you don't think anything is wrong..you think people like me are prudes. I was called a prude once to my face, maybe many times behind my back..lol..who knows? But I looked the word prude up in the dictionary and this is what it says: a person who is excessively proper or modest in speech, conduct, dress, etc; worthy or respectable woman; good, virtuous. I'm cool with that.


The closer I have gotten in my relationship with Jesus, the more I see the world through His eyes. Daniel 5 just came to my mind. It's the chapter of the handwriting on the wall. King Belshazzar of Babylon was having a party, him and his guests were drinking out of the Temple cups (which were taken from the Temple in Jerusalem) and toasting to their own gods. Not a good idea. So a hand appeared before them all and wrote : Mene, mene, tekel, parsin. Which Daniel interpreted as meaning: Mene: God has numbered the days of your reign and brought it to an end. Tekel: You have been weighed on the scales and found wanting. Parsin: Your kingdom is divided and given to the Medes and Persians (Daniel 5:26-28). I feel God is weighing the value of our society and has found it wanting, lacking. There will be a day of reckoning for it all. When we all stand before Him and He asked us what we have done on this earth to promote God's glory, what we have done with the gifts he has given us... what will we say? That we made a lot of money, that we were held in high esteem by society...so sad.

Ephesians 5:8-20 sums it up best:
For you were once in darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret. But everything exposed by the light becomes visible, for it is light that makes everything visible. This is why it is said: "Wake up, O sleeper, rise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you." Be very careful, then, how you live-not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. Speak to one another with psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I still get chills when I am thinking about something and then a verse appears that validates exactly what I was thinking. Thank you Jesus! Praise you Father! Being a prude doesn't mean you don't know how to laugh, love, live. It means you do it wisely. So the next time someone calls you a prude...smile and say thanks.

4 comments:

  1. Well please put me on the list of "prude" which I am very okay with. For a long time; actually since I took The Bible Study - Daniel, the first time and stronger on the second time I noticed how the world around us has captivated people with advertisements, tempting us to look better, last longer, becoming richer, having more than your neighbor; drinking, using obscenities freely. Yes I thank Jesus for loving me and my heart goes out to the lost..and I pray for the people that don't have Jesus in their lives. . Seriously people can you not see?????
    Today I stayed home because of my constant coughing and having no sleep. I finally got up and very glad I did because I read Psalms 121 and felt so blessed by God because He is watching over me; blessing me with his untiring love. So even though I am under the weather with a cold and flu-like symptoms I feel him here holding me and caring for me. Luke 1:37 For nothing is impossible with God! So I am glad that I am a prude. I am only wanting to follow in the path of Jesus and am proud in a godly way to be a Christ follower. So let us pick up our crosses and follow the ONE AND ONLY.....The rewards are heavenly!!!The freedom you feel when you walk with Jesus is awesome..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree with you more.

      Delete
  2. This is an awesome post! Anyway, you are invited to follow my blog at http://www.joylivingwifchrist.blogspot.com Hope we can grow in Christ tgt! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, so sorry that society's been getting under your skin lately. The same thing has been happening to me. Like you, I'm proud to be a prude.

    And I thank you for taking the initiative to make this blog. Those people who hate prudes are just being unappreciative about and overly intolerant of them. It's ironic that they complained and/or complain about prudes being judgmental, excessively intolerant, and closed-minded when they (the anti-prudes) behave iin those ways. Shame on them.

    ReplyDelete